Expert Witness TestimonyWE'RE HERE to meet all your Houston area real estate needs!
- SRA designation from the Appraisal Institute, 1988
- Degree: Bachelor of Architecture, University of Houston, 1981
- Past Director: Houston Association of Realtors, ending 12/96
- Past Director: Greater Houston Association of Mortgage Brokers
- Past Director: Houston Association of Professional Mortgage Women
- Currently qualified as an instructor for the Appraisal Institute
- Currently qualified as an instructor by the Texas Real Estate Commission
- Past Co-chair of the Education Committee of the Houston Chapter of the Appraisal Institute
I am actively involved in the Houston Mortgage Bankers Association, the Houston Builder’s Association and am a licensed Real Estate Broker. I have a broad range of knowledge of many aspects of the Real Estate Industry including valuation, construction, financing and marketing. I have testified on many occasions.
Some examples of complex appraisal issues we have testified on include:
- Potential effect on value of “stigmatized” properties including those associated with violent crimes such as murder, suicide, child abuse, occupation by notorious individuals, etc.
- Potential effect on value caused by builder defects or deficiencies such as faulty foundations, leaking roofs, substandard materials, etc.
- Potential effect on value caused by wood eating or boring insects such as termites or worms.
- Potential effect on value caused by external influences such as proximity to landfills, high tension power lines, cell phone and microwave towers, toxic or hazardous wastes, either on or off site.
- Potential effect on value of properties having history of flooding or location within an area with a notoriety of flooding.
- Valuation of partial estates.
- Valuation as of a date in the past (Retrospective appraisals).
- Valuation of Historic Properties
Examples of simple appraisal issues would include valuation for divorce, estate, partnership, taxation purposes, IRS requirements, lender or auditor requirements, etc.
Fees for our real estate appraisal services for litigation vary considerably depending upon the complexity of the property in question. As an example, a common appraisal fee appraisal fee for a “stigmatized” residential property is $5,500 assuming multiple valuations as of a single date. An example scenario may include the value of a property “As Represented” at the date of contract and a value as of the same date “As Received”. The difference between the two values may be a critical component of the total damages calculation.
The average turn around time for a complex appraisal is approximately four weeks. Naturally, if the luxury of having more time is available, we would consider that beneficial. Valuations on simple properties with no stigma can be done for less and on shorter notice. Consulting fees are billed at an hourly rate of $375.00. Meetings outside our office, (depositions, testimony, etc.) are billed at a 4 hour minimum (unless other previously negotiated arrangements have been made.)
Typically, a retainer of one half the fee or $1,000 (whichever is the greater) is requested upon our being listed as an expert or when the appraisal process is initiated. The remainder is due prior to delivery of the completed report.
We have the experience necessary to provide professional real estate appraisals that stand up in court. We are regularly called upon to act as experts in many real estate valuation issues. Our appraisals are completely independent, impartial and objective. Our professionalism is unmatched. Here at Brubaker and Associates, we have the experience and knowledge to properly handle the special dynamics oftentimes associated with appraisals for litigation.
Completing an appraisal that will stand up in court is typically just the beginning.
You need an expert witness appraiser who can withstand grueling depositions from opposing council.
You need an expert witness appraiser who presents his appraisal findings in terms that are clear and understandable to a judge or a jury.
You need an expert witness appraiser who can stand up for his convictions that are the result of his over twenty-five years of experience.
Mike Brubaker has made a personal commitment to being the very best in his field. It shows, in both his work product and presentation of his findings.
Feel free to browse our website to learn more about our unique qualifications as an expert witness in Houston area real estate appraisals. Should you have any questions or need for our services in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 713-464-4666 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We realize you have a choice when selecting your appraisal provider. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Download Brubaker CV (Adobe Acrobat .pdf file)
Residential • Commercial • Industrial • FHA & VA Appraisals
PMI Removal • Property Tax Consultants • Farm & Ranch
Cost Analysis • Market Analysis • Expert Witness Testimony